Male Hair Care? Yes, It’s a Thing!
For the most part, hair on the head is a crowning glory. When a man starts to realise that his hair is being lost, he may start to panic. The realisation of age settling in and the rushing tide of genetics can send a man into a spin of worry. Stop there, though – that worry you are feeling and panic could make even more hair fall out. There are many different types of hair loss and many different causes for it and until you identify the cause you should stay away from the expensive treatments.
There are three main groups for hair loss: genetics, lifestyle and conditions with the skin. There are also outside factors that can influence rapid hair loss like radiation therapy. We’ve some of the most common causes of male hair loss listed below:
- Genetics. We mentioned earlier that genetics play a factor in hair loss, and the familiar widow’s peak is a sign of male pattern baldness. It’s not caused by stress and you don’t have to be an older gent for it to start, either. You can get this prescription from your doctor which can stop hair loss 90% of the time.
- Age. Unfortunately, we all age and there’s no stopping that. You can’t fight Mother Nature, the cruel beast, and both men and women experience hair loss due to age. Hair volume decreases after age 30, but most men embrace hair loss and look good doing it!
- Diet. Believe it or not, your diet can play a big part in the health of your hair. Like everything else with your body, nutrients matter and your hair needs them. Low iron levels, sudden weight changes and poor diet can make your hair shed. Eat a diet that is well-balanced to counteract this.
- Stress. One of the rarest causes of hair loss, stress can still be a factor. Conditions like alopecia areata causes the body to attack the hair follicles, causing hair loss. Removing the cause of stress is the best way forward here, but you need to be able to identify it first.
- Skin Conditions. Conditions like psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis can all cause hair loss in men. Medicated shampoos can help and a consultation from your doctor is needed so that you can get the right type for your skin.
Whether you wear it short, long or in a man-bun, your hair is an indicator of your health. There’s nothing to slow down your age or hair loss if you are experiencing male pattern baldness, but you can pat your Dad on the back and thank him for his genes! Treatments for hair loss are advancing year after year, and while you may be a man, there’s no excuse for poor haircare. Doing something about it now rather than later can make such a huge difference to the rest of your life. Identifying the cause of your hair loss and seeking help quickly is the best way forward.
DISCLAIMER: This post is a collaborative post and may contain affiliate links.